Tuesday, February 21, 2006

Long time, no see

The next installment of your humble narrator navigating through beer after beer, song after song, and night after night

Subject: Guitarist - Rock Bottom

Club 501, Wood River, IL, Friday and Saturday, February 10th & 11th

Friday night

Our return to 501 was much anticipated. It had been sometime since I’d played there in Knucklehead, and had been a while since Rock Bottom had been there as well. Jagertyme was on vacation, so I suspected that we’d see some of them show, as well as their regulars. I wasn’t disappointed, as when I arrived to set up, many of them were already there, including Derrick, and Jager Tommy. Angie/Jagermomma showed up as well, and then her and Derrick split before the show began, promising to return. Floyd and Chelly were about I believe. Hell, I can't remember when I'm not at 501 and I'm not seeing some part of Jagertyme! It all just blends together!

I offered, as I always do, for Jager Tommy to sit in on any song he wishes. He politely responded “I’m on vacation!” and flashed that exaggerated Jager Tommy grin. “Your turn to make the donuts!” I nodded in complete agreement.

I set up my rig, but had misplaced all my picks! I scoured my lunchbox, but only found one lonely pick! If I lost or dropped this guy, I was screwed! What the hell happend to all of them? I'd stocked up not that long ago. I have a habit of forgetting them on my mic stand at the end of the night. Looks like another stop at the music store tomorrow.

Our friends made the show worthwhile as they really pumped up the atmosphere. A good crowd showed up, and the vibe in the room was very positive. We were getting a better reception than we’d get with Knucklehead. I guess the songlist just connects better with “the masses”.

Without a formal set list, we navigated through the night, finding some grooves, and starting to gel. We've been together about 3 months now, but never formally rehersed. I think it's safe to say we're getting used to each other, and reading the vibe out there. That was a luxury in Knucklehead, the years together. In a few months, Rock Bottom is starting to scratch the surface of that, and it feels pretty solid.

DJ T-Bone hopped up and belted out a couple, and we rolled through our set list, seemingly doing no wrong. My rig felt and sounded good, and I was tweaking all the little things that make me smile when I play. Dropped a phrase or two here and there, but improvement is showing. I'm getting my groove back, it seems.

Good friends stopped by to say hello, from Dave "the magic chef" Stover, Dougie Ramone, Franco and Evil Angel, Lindsay, of course Howard and the whole 501 crew; wow, it was a warm welcome back!

Friday night was a smashing success.

Saturday night

So, that left an air of anticipation for Saturday night. From the get go, I didn’t see too many familiar faces. Our friends had made their appearances Friday, so I began to suspect that most of them would attend other places, and it seemed I was right. With a very sparse crowd to begin with, I had the feeling that tonight would be a let down.

We launched into the set anyway, and slowly, the place began to fill. I guess they were bussing them in from down the street, because as song after song played, more and more people began to appear. On break, I’d noticed how the place was beginning to fill, and apart from an old friend, Mere, and her boyfriend, I didn’t really recognize any of them as Knucklehead or Rock Bottom regulars!

We started the second set, and I started to take over managing the setlist, crafting them to flow as I did in Knucklehead. Once we got them dancing, and we had them dancing, I did my best to keep the whole flow moving through the set, with a couple breaks here and there. That’s what I notices works the best; several songs in succession, then a small break to interact with the crowd, then right back at them with more. It worked flawlessly. This pretty muched cinched it: The Rock Bottom Experience is starting to come together.

At the close of the second set, Craig leaned out from behind his cage and said “man, that was a great set!" Then he paused. "What the hell are we going to play now?”

Point taken. We’d pretty much used up all our “money songs” right there. How do we top that?

The bar star gods were with us that night, because we tore into the third set, and kept the vibe going. It was another strong set, and the crowd seemed really pleased. No one had left! I had my obligatory drunk dude in front of me, watching all my solos, and pumping his fists in the air. Some things never change! At the end of the night, the final song, the guy leaned over to me and asked “can I have your pick?” LOL! Not only did this seem ridiculous to me (what the hell does he want my pick for, a momento?!) but, it was my only pick! I have to give away my only pick!

I sheepishly agreed, and he seemed thrilled. To each their own! Later, he, or maybe it was someone else perhaps, came up with one of Craig’s drumsticks and a magic marker, asking me to sign the stick. Rock Bottom autograph “meet and greet” sessions at Club 501! A first for me there!

Yeah, I guess we were a hit! Man, was it good to be back!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home