Monday, March 27, 2006

Saturday Night's alright for fightin'

Same Old, Same Old

Subject: guitaristRock Bottom

Saturday, March 25th, Mingo's, Granite City, Illinois

Boozie rang me up and asked if I’d ever heard of a place called Mingo’s. “Sure,” I told him.

“Is it a cool place?” he asked. “Because some dude just called me up and wants us to play there.”

Wow, Mingo’s? I was familiar with it. Surprised they called Boozie and not me! Perhaps they didn’t know I was in this band now. I knew one of the bartenders down there, Mike. He would hang out at Mac N Mick’s, my hang out on my side of town. We’d ventured down there, some of us Mac N Mick regulars when Mac’s was slow, because Mike tended bar. It was a tiny place in downtown Granite. But, a nice place. The owners had fixed it up, and it was much like any local tavern or pub, intimate, cozy. But where in the hell were we going to set up?

There were other questions involved leading up to this as well. First off, we weren’t planning on any shows at all this weekend. Steve had requested that we not book any gigs, as he had plans. No problem. Well, Steve Tinnon and the Fat Cat’s boys came calling, and they were trying to work out bringing us up to White Hall, which we weren’t opposed to. We’ll get there soon, I reckon. But, in this instance, there were logistical matters to work out, PA, the like. Basically, it wasn’t confirmed. Steve Hall wasn’t really keen on changing his plans for a long ass drive to White Hall. That was a big factor.

Well, now Mingo’s called here in Granite for the same Saturday night. Good money, closer, two things that should entice Steve to join us. Well, he stuck to his plans, but the boys had Plan B. Mike from Chuck’s old band, Sinwater. Works for me! I needed the money, and I certainly don’t mind playing in Granite.

I passed the word to my various Mac N Mick buddies we’d be down there, and they promised to show up in their travels. I wouldn’t mind getting back into Mac N Mick’s sometime, but with our setup, I don’t think it’s feasible. Knucklehead had a much more compact light show and sound system. I wasn’t sure Rock Bottom would even fit in Mingo’s, which is much smaller!

To my surprise, I arrived at Mingo’s to discover they’d cleared the entire back room for our use. They’d slid the pool tables aside, which created a large playing area for us to set up in, facing the bar. There was much more room than I’d anticipated! Boozie rolled in and took one look at it, and muttered “well, damn! I could have brought my whole kit in!” He just glanced at me with resignation and said “well, something to remember next time, I suppose…” Boozie sure does take things well!

I stacked my rig and ran cords accordingly, uncased my guitars and tuned them, and fired up the amp, letting the tubes warm. I promptly grabbed the nearest chair, and collapsed in a heap. I’d partied big time the previous night with Jagertyme at Eddie’s, which actually followed an earlier “retirement” party for my partner Bill, who’d quit the steel mill after 20 years. We gathered at Mac’s for beers after office hours while his fellow mill workers poured in, and the beer doth flowed…

You can’t imagine how much I wanted to play hooky, and just sleep this one off! I couldn’t seem to find any energy. I convinced myself to wander over to the bar, and grab a Bud Light. Alcohol is fuel, you know! I stared at the open bottle for a time, feeling its coldness, but unwilling to take a sip. Finally, I plunged in, and drank. Surprisingly, it went down smooth and easy. As the clock neared start time, I gathered up the energy to strap on my guitar, and play.

I was briefly introduced to our singer du jour, and while he threw me a curve and told me he knew all kinds of Skynard, Bob Segar, and country rock, he smiled at my puzzled look and let me off the hook. “Naw, man, I know your setlist. Anything you want to do,” he assured me.

Anything?

So, we plowed into the first set without a list (Steve has it in his microphone case). I tossed out songs by memory, and with a nod from Mike, we played together like we were doing this for a year or more. As I remember, there wasn’t too many he didn’t have a grasp of. While not blessed with the range and power that Steve has, he was still more than capable, and from early on I was very comfortable that we’d manage through the night without Steve.

A nice crowd had formed. My Mac N Mick pals kept their word, and a whole table of them showed up to see us. We brought in some other familiar faces, true Rock Bottom fans, and they sat down in front, cheering us on. A very nice beginning! It was a nice showing for our first time in Mingo’s, especially with such short notice.

As the young lovelies got up to dance, an older woman glanced up at me as she danced next to Darcie, and for a moment, I saw Darcie’s eyes, or a hint of her face. Who was she? Was she related to Darcie? Kind of spooky. Caught me by surprise. Later, Darcie introduced her as her mother. Ah! That made sense. I pegged her around my age, which kind of frightened me, because that means I’m probably old enough to be Darcie’s dad! No, really, I’m not that old! Am I? C’est la vie!

She was having fun, and really living it up tonight. Darcie had her hands full! It was still kind of endearing, mother and daughter out partying it up.

On the first break, I wandered over to my mates, and thanked them for coming out. Tad bought the whole band a round of beers, and all my Mac’s friends were profuse with their praise. Melanie demanded Motley Crue’s “Merry Go Round and Round”, and Boozie jumped up, ran to his MP3 player, and fired it up through the PA for her. She smiled, and asked “does this mean you aren’t going to play it live for me?” Uh, yeah, that’s exactly what it means, Melanie…

Second set went off, and everyone had a terrific response. The acoustics in Mingo’s were challenging, with an odd reverb effect throughout the room. A very lively hall. My amp sounded much to my satisfaction, and my playing seemed effortless. I was pretty happy with it all, and with an unfamiliar singer, no less. I mentioned on break to Tad’s friend, Barb, that we’ve had no rehearsal with this guy, he just showed up and played, and she was stunned. But, to me, it didn’t seem anything out of the ordinary. Hell, I’ve never rehearsed with these guys!

We put Mike through our “Steve Hall” paces, and he did admirably. Some of the song selection though came at him too much, too soon. He was able to sing them individually, but the order that I structured them in took a brief toll on his voice, and he started to crack a bit. Steve had always stressed what songs he could and couldn’t follow with, but Steve has a way of not letting anyone notice it’s a struggle for him. I first hand witnessed what happens to mere mortals when we force them to sing like Steve! But, to everyone else, I’m sure they had no idea. Mike performed quite well under the circumstances, and given what we were asking him to do!

Chuck and I bailed him out with a couple selections of our own, and with a quick break, Mike regained form after suffering through an onslaught of Skid Row, double Motley Crue, Jackyl, Great White, and AC/DC. The crowd was loving it, and we were quickly feeling quite at home in Mingo’s, and with Mike as well. We wrapped up the set, and a chilling thought occurred to me: what the hell will we play now? We’d used most of our “money” songs, and we didn’t have the flexibility of Steve around to fake anything. This was going to get interesting…

On the second break, a good number of my friends bid adieu, and were headed off to Bindy’s. They’d started the day at Fast Eddie’s, in fact invited me to meet them at Mac N Mick’s before they went up there. Since I was recuperating from Mac’s and Jagertyme the night before, there was little chance of me joining that parade. I felt like ass the morning after, and starting at Fast Eddie’s at 3PM wasn’t a possibility!

I thanked them all for stopping by and staying for two whole sets, and they all loved the show, loved the band, and couldn’t wait to come see us again. Melanie was particularly impressed, and I think she’s going to be a real cheerleader for us, bringing in more people. And she hasn’t even heard Steve yet!

That left our group of Rock Bottom regulars to please, little else. A few stragglers wandered in, but the rest of the night was pretty much left to us. Chuck asked if I knew “American Band” by Grand Funk Railroad. I’ve heard of it, I told him.

“What key?” I asked. “A?”

“D, actually” Chuck corrected.

“Let’s do it!” I told ‘em.

We fired it off, and it seemed to flow effortlessly from me, as though I’d been playing it for years! That’s what growing up in Granite City and listening to KSHE all your life will do for you!

We had another “KSHE” moment when we tore into Foghat’s “I Just Wanna Make Love To You”. Now we’re having fun! We’re in my ballpark, just jamming tunes whether we know them or not, and seeing what the hell happens! Echos of Knuckehead!

I also rummaged through Mountain’s “Mississippi Queen” by request, and they loved me for it. Our little group of Rock Bottom regulars has been demanding it, and after I teased them once with it back at Richard’s, it seems to be a popular request. I’m going to have to smooth it out, and make it a staple it appears!

All in all, the “Force” seemed to be with me that last set, and we navigated through some very interesting and classic waters, putting a smile on my face. I love the unexpected, especially when I’m up on stage. It can be magical. It can also be a train wreck (see Jessie’s Girl, last blog)! But, that’s what makes it fun: risk. I have little ego to embarrass myself with. I guess that can be a double edged sword.

We kept playing until way after 2AM, wrapping up with “Home Sweet Home”, and then “Metal Health”. Mike did a fine show, and everything went swimmingly. Chuck soon marched back over to us as I wrapped up my gear, doling out the evening’s payroll, and announced new dates back at Mingo’s to our delight. Next time, with Steve. And with Boozie’s full drum cage. This was only a beginning, I was starting to sense.

I wrapped up quickly, loaded the SUV, and sped off to Eddie’s to catch the end of Jagertyme. I had arrived too late, the “ugly lights” were up, and a solid crowd milled about, unwilling to relinquish the evening. I stepped up to the bar and caught a quick bottle of Bud Light, and said my hellos and good byes to a number of friends.

About that time, a hellacious brawl started over by the restroom doors. Fists were flying and people screaming! Wow! Just in time! Black shirted bouncers sprang into action, and it was pure bedlam for a few moments. They sorted out the fracas, tossing them out into the parking lot to awaiting police officers, whom I’d seen parked outside when I arrived, just waiting for something to start.

I approached the stage with a look of incredulity on my face, and most of the Jager boys just shook their heads.

“What did you call me?” I needled JagerTommy, starting a faux fight. He smiled and shook my hand, when another fracas erupted by the tables! Bouncers flew through the air and one of the long bench tables collapsed under the weight of the combatants! What the hell was going on here? Another Hurricane Katrina birthday party, or what!

I found Kat, and while she wasn’t remotely involved with what had occurred, she was still at the wrong place at the wrong time and had been struck in the cheek by a stray punch.

“I was just hugging a friend good bye when all of a sudden WHAM!” she said, applying ice to her swollen cheek. Saturday Night Fights at Eddie’s! Steve was there, and he quizzed me how the show went without him, and I assured him it went fine, and they are happy to book us back. “Cool,” he said.

I quickly exited that zoo as the police entered the bar, rousting the remaining patrons. There were several Granite squad cars there now, and an Illinois State Police rod showed up, too. This was getting serious.

I rushed to Quicktrip for a set of 2x4’s (24 oz. Bud Lights) before 3AM, as I was just in the mood to sit at home and polish off a beer and unwind. I ran into Steve and Theresa there no less, gassing up on their way home. Not long after, Granite Police stopped in at QT, quizzing us about seeing a bloody, beaten man wandering down the street. I knew both cops, as they often come into Mac N Mick’s for beers. Is this a small town or what? Good guys, and good cops.

“Yeah”, Steve said, “he was here. Just took off down the street.” The policemen shook their heads and commented they knew who he was, and he was a trouble maker, I took it. They didn’t stay to chat, they were hot on his trail.

Steve, Theresa and I said good night, and I cautiously headed home, minding my speed. I know the Granite Cops, but that State rod spooked me. The only State cop I know, one of my poker buddies, doesn’t work around here! I passed two Granite squad cars on the way home, having pulled over a pedestrian about 8 blocks from Quicktrip. Looks like they got their man. Next time I see them at Mac’s, I’m sure we’ll have plenty to talk about!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home